The Rita Church Community Center was the recipient of a 2014 Maryland Preservation Award for Excellence in Commercial/Institutional Rehabilitation.
Located in Baltimore’s historic Clifton Park, the former Clifton Park Pool House was designed in 1920. Partially renovated in 2001, the lower level of the building housed pool changing and support facilities while the upper level of the building was a covered, open-air pavilion.
Baltimore City Department of Recreation and Parks decided to enclose the old, underutilized upper level to create a new recreation center. Design included the exterior rehabilitation of the pool house in accordance with the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties as well as the interior rehabilitation of the building.
The new program for the center consists of a lounge, multi-purpose room, kitchen/craft room, game room, computer lab, and various support spaces. The lounge, located at the center of the building provides a tall open space that allows elements of the historic structure, such as the heavy timber trusses and masonry chimneys, to be integrated into the rehabilitation.